Monday, September 12, 2011

Cool Whole Grain Salad

This is the recipe that I cooked for the potluck. I love it for it's versitility and the fact that it fills you up! I think it is also a great way to taste the nuances between different grains.

Cool Whole Grain Salad

1 cup whole wheat or other whole grains - experiment!

1/2 cup green onion chopped.
 Optional:
1 cup cooked beans
Kale or other dark steamed green
Grated carrots and/or beets, celery, etc
Adding melon or a citrus fruit can be a nice variation!


Vinaigrette Dressing: This is a basic one.
1/2 cup your favorite oil (I use olive)
2 tbs vinegar
2tbs lemon juice (or orange if adding fruit)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper.
Fresh or dried herbs of your liking (I usually add a bit of dill if I have it)

You can cook the wheatberries in a rice cooker, or on the stove top.  Place the wheat kernels in a bowl of cold water and skim off any weed seeds or chaff that our seed cleaner missed with a slotted spoon!
Strain and add 2 1/2 cups water (the ratio if you are expanding the recipe or you want extra cooked grain to add to yoghurt etc, is 1 cup berries to 2 1/2 cups water).  Cook in your rice cooker or on the stove top until al dente, about 50 minuets.  Cool, then add the other ingredients. You can let the salad marinate for a while, but if you leave it in the fridge too long it can get chewy.









No comments:

Post a Comment